To show my appreciation, I wanted to gift you all a photo tutorial for a crocheted teardrop earring with beads.
NOTE: Since the original posting of this tutorial, I have tweaked this design and updated the pattern. Although these instructions work, I believe that the updated version has a more pronounced teardrop shape. You can find the updated version here.)
- Aunt Lydia's #10 mercerized cotton or Omega #2 nylon thread in the color of your choice
- 1.25 mm crochet hook
- 0.6 mm hook
If you use a thicker yarn or a larger hook your earring will be longer and wider, but the hole of your bead may be too small for your hook and thread to go through. Check before starting.
- 35 - size 6 or 8 seed beads in a coordinating color with your thread.
-Two earring wires (they may be fish hooks or kidney ear wires)
-2 flat nose pliers
Abbreviations: (US terminology)
sl st - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
hdc - half double crochet
dc - double crochet
ch - chain stitch
1) Beginning ch 1 does not count as a stitch.
Note: If you prefer to use a chart, I have included a sketch of a chart at the end of this section. After finishing the chart continue to steps 5 - 9.
1) Make a magic loop. Then make 8sc in the magic loop. Join to first stitch of round with a sl st. ch 1 (8 sc, 1 ch)
2) [1sc in the first stitch, ch 3, 1 sc ] 1sc in the next stitch, *2sc in the next st, 1sc in the next st* Repeat from * to * 2 more times. Join to first stitch of round with a sl st. ch 1 (12 sc, 3 ch)
3) 1hdc in first st, [ 1hdc, ch 3, 1hdc] in the ch 3 space, 1hdc in next st, *2hdc in the next st, 1hdc in the next st* Repeat from * to * 4 more times. Join to first stitch of round with a sl st. ch 1 (19 hdc, 3 ch)
4) 1dc in the next two st, [1dc, ch 3, 1dc] in the ch 3 space, 1dc in the next two st, *2dc in the next st, 1dc in the next st* Repeat from * to * 6 more times. 2dc in the last stitch. Join to first stitch of round with a sl st. ch 1 (29 dc, 3 ch)
5) 3 sl st to reach ch 3 space. ch 1, 5sc in the ch 3 space. 1 sc in next st.
6) Extend your loop a bit, remove 1.25 mm hook. With 0.6 mm hook pick up a seed bead and pull the extended loop through the bead. Using your 1.25 mm hook, 1sc in the first stitch, 1sc in the next stitch.
7) Repeat step 6 all the way around your teardrop. Sl st into the first sc of the round. Fasten off and weave in ends.
8) Repeat steps 1 - 7 for second earring.
9) Using flat nose pliers attach ear wires to middle sc of each chain space of each earring.